Developing a Biblical Worldview
“The Battle of the Ages” Genesis 3:15
Old Testament Reading: 2 Chronicles 20:1-17 – New Testament Reading: Ephesians 6:10-18
Developing a Biblical Worldview
“The Battle of the Ages”
Wayne J. Edwards, Pastor
To develop a biblical worldview, one must understand the two significant truths found in Genesis 3:15.
- God divided humanity into two kingdoms:
- The Kingdom of Satan, who is now the god of this world.
- The Kingdom of God, the new heaven and new earth that will be established when Jesus Christ returns as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
- The flow of human history is being revealed through the manifestation of that division.
- God provided a way for humanity to be delivered from the kingdom of Satan and to live in the kingdom of God, which is their expressed faith in the promised Seed: The Person and work of Jesus of Nazareth.
- The question every person must answer is this: In which kingdom do I live, for there is no neutral ground in-between!
1. An Earthly Conflict – Genesis 3:15 – “I will put enmity between thee and the woman!”
Until we understand the truth of Genesis 3:15, we will never understand the real reason behind the hatred and hostility that has plagued humanity for the last 6,000 years.
- God said HE put “enmity” between the serpent, who had been indwelt by Satan, and the woman, who was deceived by Satan.
- God said that “enmity” would continue to be manifest in the “seed” of Satan and the “seed” of the woman, until the time when the “Seed of the woman” would crush the head of the “seed of Satan”!
- That “promise of deliverance” is the first prophecy of God’s plan for man’s redemption – the first gospel sermon to be preached upon the earth.
- The rest of the Bible, beginning with Genesis 3:16, is the story of the conflict between these two “seeds.”
2. A Temporal Defeat – Genesis 3:15 – “…thou shalt bruise His heel!”
God said the seed of Satan would “bruise” the heel of the Seed of the woman, but none of these wounds would be enough to defeat God’s plan for man’s redemption.
- The Worldwide Flood – God caused the flood to rid the world of the filth of the evil of Satan’s lies.
- The Nation of Israel – Satan knew that the One who would crush His head would come through the Jews, which is why there is still much hatred for them today.
- Those in the “seed-line” – from generation to generation:
- Moses – tempted him to physically express his anger at the people rather than trusting God.
- David – tempted him to satisfy his personal needs with another man’s wife.
- Wicked Kings and Judges – Satan indwelt many wicked kings and wicked judges who led the people of Israel to forsake their Godly heritage and establish a false religion.
- Invasion and Captivity – God allowed Israel to be invaded by evil enemies, and the land to be confiscated, and the people captivated, to purify them from their sin.
- The Slaughter of the Innocent – King Herod issued an edict that all male babies two years old and under be killed, hoping to kill Jesus.
- The 40-days of Temptation – Satan appeared personally before Jesus, promising Him everything in the world if He would just bow down and worship him.
- Peter’s weakness – Satan was behind Peter’s desire that Jesus just bypass the cross and become an earthly king.
- The Spikes in the Lord’s heels – when they laid Jesus’ body in the grave, Satan thought he had won the victory.
“As painful as it was for Jesus to endure the whole process of crucifixion, even to the point of His death, and burial, it in no way compares to the suffering Satan will endure for eternity – for him there will be no death!”
3. An Eternal Victory – Genesis 3:15 – “It shall bruise thy head.”
There are two meanings to the word “bruise” in verse 15:
- The “seed of the Woman would “bruise” the head of the “seed of Satan” – meaning to strike or to crush!
- The “seed of Satan” would “bruise” the heel of the “seed of the Woman” – meaning to lie in wait and strike!
“The Seed of the woman will tread your head underfoot, and you will lie in wait and bruise His heel!”
- What Satan could do to pierce or wound the Promised Seed of the Woman (Jesus Christ) was temporal; it was limited to those events that could be carried out on earth.
- What the Promised Seed of the Woman (Jesus Christ) could do to destroy the work of the devil, once and for all and forever, was to crush or trample down his head, which was done in heaven, and therefore is eternal.
- Satan’s head was crushed:
- At the birth of the Lord Jesus – 1 John 3:8
- At the cross of the Lord Jesus – John 19:30
- When Jesus said “it is finished,” He accomplished the prophecy of Genesis 3:15.
- He rendered powerless him who had the power of death; that is the devil! – Hebrews 2:14
- He made a public display of them. “Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.” Colossians 2:15
- At the resurrection of the Lord Jesus – “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.” 1 Corinthians 15:22
- Satan’s head will be completely crushed at the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus:
- Satan will be bound and cast into the bottomless pit for 1,000 years – Revelation 20:1-4
- Satan will be cast into the lake of fire, along with all those who followed after him – Revelation 20:10